Great to see you here! :-)))

My photo
Dentist- Mother- Home maker. And, I enjoy juggling all that comes in between playing these roles to perfection :)
Writing is a joy. Unabashed and unadulterated!
































Thursday, September 17, 2015

Yog(A)ddiction



My first sort-of rendezvous with this old and established hindu form of mind and body exercise was quite a ‘yog-a-yog’- just one of the many ‘by chance’ events of my happy life.
A friend and physiotherapist, who casually dropped in home to meet my mother in law, has managed to hook me to something   I had preferred to stay ignorant about all these years. Somehow, I always took up to liking a particular form of exercise or physical activity, only  if it made me  sweat a bucket  and lose some significant pounds on that ‘reality-check’ scale. Sitting in a verandah doing some acrobatics never motivated me enough to give it a try. More so when yoga is a practice that is inseparable from ‘meditation’.  Because  I am yet to fully discover the  strengths of meditation.
However, I did enroll myself for a yoga class only because my friend so highly recommended  it to me. Thanks for that, Ketki. The 5:45am session  seemed most suitable. When I woke up on day one to get ready for the class, I remember muttering to my husband  “I don’t think I will be continuing with this. Its crazy. Too early to wake up”.
But quite surprisingly, when  I was back after my first day at yoga, I knew I am not going to quit this one! You wanna know why? Like all the trending ‘Five reasons and ten reasons’ links, here are my ‘High Five’ :)
ONE is , it does make me ‘sweat’!! Sweat while I stretch, and stretch and twist, and twist and turn, and turn and bend, and then  I sweat some more.
TWO is, while I attempted  to do all of this with my minimally flexible body, I realized that I was better today than what I was the previous day. When you see your body respond to your efforts, it pushes you to stay stretched until the last count is heard. There’s visible improvement and hence motivation to better yourself.
THREE is I never knew that all through these years, I made a mess of my breathing. Did it harm me in any way? May be. May be not.  Until last month I panted for breath after speeding up through the 100 steps of the hill behind our house.  I am more comfortable now. Because I don’t hold my breath anymore. I consciously practice the ‘inhale and exhale’ cycle while climbing. Yes, we all tend to unconsciously  hold our breath while we do heavy workouts. Never realized? You may want to go for a run!
FOUR is I have never been so pepped up about waking up at 5am without any external source of motivation or compulsion. I enjoy my seven minutes of walk in the quiet dark of dawn. I love doing my yoga as I hear the birds chirp on trees far away.  Its more rejuvenating than a hot cup of coffee with a book over a luxury holiday. All the verandah acrobatics make sense now J
And FIVE is I love my ‘no-non sense’ yoga instructor. Meditation and philosophy is sprinkled in just apt amounts .She knows when ‘not’ to be easy. Rest of the times don’t matter.

That  feeling when all  your body muscles and tendons ache in the night as you prepare to sleep, definitely adds up to the satisfaction quotient of the day.  Am sure that happens after any rigorous workout. But yoga doesn’t show any overplay of a set of muscles over others like in running, tennis etc.  Its more like swimming.  A balanced form of exercise because every action is so beautifully and intentionally co-ordinated with breathing.
 I  am not new to working out. And yet I am also more than used to being in the  X or XL  category of physique. I do not know if yoga can bring down the X by a couple of alphabets. But, it already makes me feel like the fittest and hottest creature around. J  I see that I am not too concerned about the ‘weight’ anymore. Its more about fitness and ‘flexibility’- a  word that was missing from my workout regimen  so far.
Reason enough to love and continue it, I say!
So all of you, who’ve chosen to stay away from Yoga, this is one addiction you’ll never regret having. Its worth indulging.
So, DoYouYoga????.... Not yet??....
May be its about time!

No comments: